The ongoing story of 2017 is Donald Trump and this pure dichotomy of America. The divided sides feels very much like we are leading up to a Civil War. This makes me wonder what America was like before the Civil War–and specifically how did the media of that time cover it?
Six articles that I’ll read about Civil War and newspapers
- How the Civil War gave birth to modern journalism in the nation’s capital
- The press’ experience during the Civil War helped shape today’s media
- Newspapers in the Civil War: an Essay
- Printed Media and the American Civil War
- Illinois Newspapers and Reporters during the Civil War
- The Fall and Rise of Partisan Journalism
High-resolution images of newspaper pages leading up to the Civil War
An eBay auction has nine newspaper pages from April 1-10, 1861 featuring events leading to the start of the Civil War. Here’s four of the best images:
If you have anything to share about how newspapers reported the start of the Civil War, PLEASE let me know in the comments.