In 2012 20.02 percent of tweets with links to major news sites came from Twitter buttons. In 2013, the usage of the buttons dropped to 12.61 percent
Joshua Benton of niemanlab does a great job pulling these stats and offering five explanations why:
- People are more comfortable manually copying and pasting a link into a tweet than they used to be.
- People are consuming more of their media on smartphones, where mobile layouts often omit sharing buttons.
- People are both discovering and sharing links more on Twitter than they used to.
- News sites are deemphasizing Tweet Buttons in their layouts.
- News sites are building their own custom share-on-Twitter buttons that don